News & Events
Welcome to our News Room. Below you’ll find the most recent information about what’s going on at the Conductive Learning Center, and opportunities for you to get involved.
Mark your calendars for this Guest Bartender Night Fundraiser at Olive’s Restaurant & Bar … featuring CLC friends, Chip Behler & Andy Behler.
Wednesday, February 24 from 6-9 p.m.
Olive’s Restaurant & Bar will donate (20%) of sales on this evening to CLC to support children with motor disabilities.
Chip and Andy will make it a fun night for all! Plus, CLC board, staff and families will be in attendance to share about our mission and program. An informal way to support CLC and learn more.
Visit www.eatatolives.com to find a map and menu. No flyer is needed.
We recently asked for your help, needing to enroll at least 10 people in the Rite Aid KidCents program by January 31, 2016 to receive a $5,000+ grant.
Thank you to all who helped! CLC has met the challenge and will receive a $5,000 grant!
It’s not too late to enroll in the KidCents Round-up Program to support CLC year-round. Just choose the Conductive Learning Center as your designated charity Imagine the change that your change can make in a child’s life!
STEP 1: Enroll in wellness+ with Plenti (Skip to Step 2 if you are already a wellness+ with Plenti member)
- Visit www.KidCents.com and click ‘Sign In’ on the left
- Click the box on the right to ‘Enroll in wellness+ with Plenti
- Complete registration process for wellness+ with Plenti
- Click through to finish signing up in Plenti
- When finished with both processes, you will be directed to RiteAid.com
STEP 2: Enroll in the KidCents Round-Up Program
- Visit www.KidCents.com
- You should see your account logged in on the left. If not, sign in with the account information.
- Click ‘Start rounding up today!’ dial on the left
Step 3: Designate Your Charity
- Click ‘Select a Charity’ on the left
- Type Conductive Learning Center and click ‘Select This Charity’
When you sign up, there are great benefits for you and CLC.
- When you use your wellness+ with Plenti card when making a purchase at Rite Aid or a Plenti partner (i.e. AT&T, Macy’s, Exxon, Mobil), you agree to round-up your change and donate it to CLC. You also earn rewards for your own use.
If you have any questions, please contact Kathy Reed, CLC’s Interim Administrative Coordinator, at (616) 575-0575 or email@example.com
The Conductive Learning Center (an Aquinas College partner) is seeking a Development and Marketing Coordinator to help coordinate and execute a comprehensive mission-driven development program in order to grow resources and enrollment. This position is responsible for executing the day-to-day operations of the annual fund campaign, working in close collaboration with the Board, Executive Director, program staff, and volunteers. Duties include event management, database management, light accounting procedures, communications, and project-based work. This is a full-time professional office position.
A detailed job description and preferred qualifications can be found here.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should email a resume and cover letter (including salary requirements) by January 15, 2016 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidate interviews will begin immediately. Resumes will be reviewed until position filled.
There’s an incredible live auction planned, with something for everyone. From travel and experience packages, to sports, dining, technology and more.
Make your bidding plans now, and get ready to raise your paddle!
1. TRES MAGNIFIQUE $2,000 Witte Travel & Tours voucher to use to go to Paris, France (or anywhere you choose), plus April in Paris dinner party for 8 in your home in Grand Rapids
2. SLAM DUNK SPARTY SYLE MSU vs. (#2) Maryland ultimate basketball package
3. TIGERS CARAVAN 4 tickets to the Grand Rapids Tigers Caravan plus Limo ride to the event
4. KING FOR A DAY Ekornes Leather Stressless recliner, whiskey and cigars, Derek Jeter signed book, Bose noise canceling headphones, round of golf at Watermark Country Club and $200 dining card
5. A GRAND DATE $200 dinner card for Ruth’s Chris, tickets to “Pippin,” night at the Amway Grand Hotel
6. LAKESIDE LIVING Week stay at a luxurious cottage on Lake Michigan near Montague, sleeps 15
7. GRIDIRON GLORY Notre Dame, Michigan, Michigan State signed footballs and tickets to a game
8. ROCKY MOUNTAIN HIGH 6-night stay at Redstone Inn (a Gilmore property) in Colorado, $300 dining gift card and adventure packages
9. THE WRIGHT WAY TO DINE Meyer May House (Frank Lloyd Wright designed) dinner for 10
10. LANDSCAPE BY STEPHEN DUREN Original oil painting by Stephen Duren
11. IT’S GREAT TO BE QUEEN IN PURE MICHIGAN 2-night stay at Grand Traverse Resort, with wine tour, golf, spa treatment, dinner, Kate Spade purse, Fitbit
12. DESTINATION DISNEY Orange Lake Resort 2-bedroom condo for Spring Break week with 4 Park Hopper passes to Disneyworld
13. TO WEAR IT IS TO LOVE IT Apple Watch
14. WHERE THE RUBBER MEETS THE WRIST Shinola watch
15. LAKE SKIES SCENE George Peebles landscape oil painting
16. NO CO-PILOT NECESSARY Ghost Drone Aerial (iOS)
17. EAT DRINK AND BE MERRY International food and wine basket
18. PICKIN’ AND GRINNIN‘ Guitar signed by some of today’s hottest Country music stars: Jake Owen, Kip Moore, Maddie and Tae, Granger Smith, Jackie Lee
19. MANGIA! MANGIA! Gift card for $300 for the Redwater Restaurant group of restaurants
20. A FAMILY AFFAIR Family memberships to Meijer Gardens, John Ball Zoo, GRAM, Children’s Museum day passes, Public Museum passes, Grand Rapids Symphony Lollipops tickets
21. RIDE LIKE THE WIND Jamis Coda Sport Bicycle
22. ALL IN ONE AWESOME GoPro Hero Camera
23. WHAT’S COOKIN’ 4 gift certificates, good for cooking class of your choice at the Grand Rapids Downtown Market
24. HIT THE ICE 4 Red Wings tickets, seating and all inclusive buffet at the exclusive Comerica Bank Legends Club, $50 Meijer gift card for gas
25. LADIES ON TOUR 4 Meijer LPGA Classic tour event tickets for the week of June 13-19
26. MUSIC FROM THE HEART “Superman (It’s Not Easy)” sheet music signed by Five for Fighting’s John Ondrasik
You can count on another fabulous live auction at An Evening of Celebration 2015! Flip through this digital catalog for a sneak peek of some of the featured packages and items, and make your bidding plans now. The catalog showcases just a portion of all the items. Keep checking back as this catalog will be updated with new items every few days. See you on October 13!
As a founding Board member, Ralph was a constant in the program since its very beginnings, an integral part of who and what CLC is today. He will be remembered as a big-hearted cheerleader of our mission, and we honor Ralph for his ongoing support of the program, the staff and the children served.
Ralph’s interest in conductive education began when his granddaughter Lily became one of the first students of the program in 1999. Even as Lily went on to public school, Ralph’s involvement continued. Over the next decade, he served as a Board member, was one of our faithful donors, and also provided financial support for student conductors to travel to Budapest to study at the Peto Institute. Additionally, Ralph supported the conductor training program at Aquinas College, establishing an endowed fund in his granddaughter’s name to provide training and professional development opportunities for future conductors.
After he retired from the Board, Ralph continued his tradition of dropping in and visiting with the staff, always finding a way to recognize their hard work and the wonderful impact they make on the students CLC serves. And for many years, he participated in many CLC events and attended all of our celebrations and student plays.
The Conductive Learning Center was certainly fortunate to have the support of such a talented and kind man as Ralph! We will miss him. We thank his family, especially his wife Sue, for sharing him with us and wish them love and peace in the days ahead.
CLC is proud to partner with WGVU TV for their next “Family Health Matters” segment focused on cerebral palsy, this Sunday, August 23 at 3 p.m. The segment features “Our Beautiful Secret,” a movie about one West Michigan family’s journey with cerebral palsy. Post movie, CLC’s Program Director, Andrea Benyovszky, joins a panel of CP experts for discussion, where she’ll share about the children and families served by CLC and Conductive Education’s unique approach.
Be sure to tune in! Read the recent MLive.com story here.
This is a great opportunity for prospective families, community partners or anyone who is interested in learning more about conductive education and the programs and impact of CLC. These one-hour sessions include a brief presentation, a classroom tour, and time for Q&A.
Register now for one of four sessions, space is limited!
Tuesday, October 13
5:45 p.m.- 9 p.m.
Watermark Country Club
5500 Cascade Rd. Grand Rapids MI 49546 [click for directions]
Valet parking provided by Ellis Parking
5:45 p.m. Social Hour, Hors d’oeuvres & CLC Discovery Stations
Dinner & Program
Partners in Hope: Fund Drive
Tickets $125 per person*
*$100 tax deductible charitable contribution.
To Purchase Tickets, Please call Sharice at 616.575.0575
Why Hope Lives Here…
Children with cerebral palsy, spina bifida, and motor disorders face challenges in everyday tasks that most of us do without even thinking — eating, buttoning a shirt, sitting in a chair, can be extremely difficult to accomplish.
The Conductive Learning Center (CLC) changes that. Through the application of conductive education methodology, CLC has a transformative effect onmobility and independence. This approach, that combines medical knowledge with educational methods, teaches a child to gain control over his or her body – and accomplish tasks he or she never thought possible.
With increased mobility, strength, problem-solving skills, confidence and self-esteem, the child’s and the entire family’s life is improved.
At a time when many are telling these kids they can’t,
CLC is telling them they can. And that is why… Hope Lives Here.
View the Auction Sneak Peek Catalog
Sponsorship Packages Still Available.
You can change a child’s life by helping them reach their greatest potential. Sponsor An Evening of Celebration. A variety of sponsorship opportunities are available. Each package includes benefits such as tickets, recognition, program ad, and VIP service.
THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS
Keith & Shelly Harrold
Doug and Maria DeVos Foundation
Mike and Sue Jandernoa
Bill & Karen Lawrence
Richard H. Brown Foundation
Best & Friends
Paul & Cathy Boyer
Custom Sales & Marketing/Rick and Sandy White
Matt & Katie DeCamp
Daniel and Pamella DeVos Foundation
Ferris State University/David L. Eisler
Art and Betsy Hasse
Herman Miller Cares
Mary and Jim Krzeminski
Lacks Enterprises, Inc.
S. Abraham and Sons
Smith Haughey Rice & Roegge
Towner Lund Group at Merrill Lynch
West Walker Steel
Bob and Judy Van Dongen
Steve and Mary Anderson
Dirk & Lisa Buth
David & Cara Cassard
J.C. & Tammy Huizenga
Greenridge Realty/Tom & Fonda Paarlberg
MLive Media Group
Jim and Linda Payne
Dr. Tom and Joan Powaser
James and Terry Stelter
Jim and Mary Veldheer
George and Nancy Wanty
Thomas and Shaina Ziolkowski
Henry A. Fox Sales
Holland Litho Printing Service
THANK YOU TO OUR AUCTION DONORS
Bill & Jillane Payne
Bill & Karen Lawrence
Charlie & Becky Denton
Cheryl & Steve Timyan
Colorado Adventure Center
Custom Sales & Marketing
Dadd’s Magic Bus & Entertainment Tours
Douglas Home Furnishings
Drs. Andrew & Jennifer Behler
Economics Club of Grand Rapids
Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park
Friends of CLC
Glynn Ann & Michael Ruggeri
Grand Rapids Art Museum
Grand Rapids Bicycle Co.
Grand Rapids Children’s Museum
Grand Rapids Downtown Market
Grand Rapids Symphony
Grand Traverse Resort & Spa
Jim & Linda Payne
James & Jan Postma
Jane & John Meilner
Jane & Tony Richstmeier
Jeff & Becki Agar and Family
Jim & Linda Payne
John Ball Zoo
Julie & Warren Veltman
Keith & Shelly Harrold
Margaret & Bob Nault
Mary & Dave Lockrow
Mary Boll-Van Wylen
Michigan State University Athletic Department
Michigan State University
Pearl’s New Orlean’s Kitchen
Randy & Linda Wagner
S. Abraham & Sons
Stephen Duren Studio/Stephen Duren
Sue & Mark Kinsler
The Detroit Tigers Organization
The Gilmore Collection
University of Michigan
University of Notre Dame
Walt Disney World Corporation
Witte Travel & Tours
We are extremely grateful for the commitment of those who devote their time and talents to making this annual event a huge success.
Chip and Stacie Behler
Michael and Marilyn Best
Paul and Cathy Boyer
Scott and Jasmine Breslin
David and Karen Custer
Senator David and Sarah Hildenbrand
Kenneth and Janice Hoexum
Gary and Barb Leddick
Ryan and Kim McLaughlin
Juan and Mary Olivarez
James and Nancy Peterson
Robert and Judy Van Dongen
Becki and Jeff Agar
Karen and Bill Lawrence
Mary Boll-Van Wylen
Robert Van Dongen
Team CLC is forming again!
The Conductive Learning Center is asking our supporters, friends, and families, to run in the 2015 Fifth Third River Bank Run on May 9, 2015 in honor of the students at Conductive Learning Center. Students at CLC live with cerebral palsy, spina bifida or other motor challenges. At CLC students train for the marathon of life!
In past years, Team CLC has had over 100 members representing CLC as an official race Charity Partner. Though CLC is not an official partner this year, this is still a great opportunity for the community to get inspired by the amazing accomplishments of CLC students like 17-year-old Nathaniel, who walked the 5K, or 8-year-old Dakota, who ran in the Junior Fun Run last year! Runners and walkers of Team CLC collect donations for CLC’s “Champion a Child” scholarship fund. This important fund helps families with qualifying children with motor challenges to attend the dynamic programs at Conductive Learning Center and gain independence.
CLC strives to make the Team CLC experience fun and rewarding. Participants attend a pre-race pasta dinner and have chances to win great race swag!
Ready to join and help even more children
reach their goals at CLC? Here are 3 Easy Steps:
Step 1: Fill out our online Team CLC sign up form here. Once you are signed up, CLC well help you set up your online fundraising page and fill you in on how to form your own team!
Step 2: Visit 53riverbankrun.com and register for your race. Race options include a 5Kcommunity walk, 5K Run, 10K Run, and 25K Run.
Step 3: Share your online fundraising page and help collect pledges for CLC’s scholarship fund. You will be amazed how easy it is!
If you would like to donate to Team CLC, visit our online CrowdRise event page. Team CLC also has sponsorship opportunities available. Download our sponsorship form to learn more!
Questions? Email Erin Quackenbush, Development Assistant at email@example.com or call 616-575-0575.
CLC student Dakota enjoys running
in the Fifth Third River Bank Run
Junior Fun Run!